This course explores the ways in which objects and material culture embody personal narrative. Moving back and forth from ephemeral traces of events and experiences to the culturally invested luxury goods that create legacy to the objects that facilitate daily life, this class will use, as its primary references, examples that draw from queer and African American cultures to underscore the potential of objects to tell the stories that not only reflect majority traditions and experiences but those of the disenfranchised, the details of whose lives are often obscured. In addition to readings that will provide background for class discussion, student will be asked to play the roles of detectives, archeologists, and curators at various sites around New York City. Each student will also be asked to create an annotated material record that reveals the public and private lives of one individual. That record may consist of texts, objects or any variety of media chosen or designed by the student. This blogs serves as an archive for the work done in the context of this course and related materials that become relevant to this exploration.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

"9 Awesome Things Dan Savage Said at the Toronto Premiere of Fantastic New Doc 'Do I Sound Gay?'"

Posted By Zach Robinson

I think this article has a lot of interesting insights from Dan Savage who is a advice columnist about sex. He was speaking about the new documentary "Do I Sound Gay?" and I think most interestingly he says "There were the guys who thought there was something really wrong with them when they realized they were gay. They thought had done something terrible. And then there was what I thought, which was I thought there's nothing wrong me but there's something wrong with you. I'm fine, you're fucked, Catholic Church, parents. And what I love now is there's more in-your-face owning it queer people in the world who are visible. There are more gay kids now growing up thinking 'I'm fine, you're fucked.'" I think there are more people who come out and are comfortable with themselves but not with the way the world treats queen youth; however, I still know there is a lot of intolerance especially for people in rural, low income communities and in minority groups.

Read the Article

No comments:

Post a Comment